06 September 2013

Hello, Again!

Lots has been going on here.  I'm about finished with another of the King's Meadow Study Center courses (it's been a busy summer) and am eager to get back into the kitchen and the garden.

Tomorrow morning,  a flat of strawberries and a flat of peaches arrive, and I thought I'd experiment with making jam.  I've looked up some recipes that use xylitol instead of sugar and will be experimenting in the next few days.  I hope to post more later in the week (with pictures) to share how it went.  This will be my first time trying to water bath can, so the potential to learn something new is huge (of course, the potential for failure is also huge, but it's a fair trade-off).

I'm also hoping to get some seeds started inside (it's still pretty hot out there for seeds, and I'm afraid the chickens would eat them).  I'll be getting out my Extension planting list to see what's in season.  Of course, I have to get out there and clean up from last spring.  I also think it's time to have the boys make a few more raised beds and work on some trellises.

We started school this week, and I've had some interesting thoughts about motherhood and leadership, spurred on by my beginning to mentor a new homeschooling friend, that I hope to mull over (while making jam!) and post soon, too.

And I've had quite a few requests for a post or two about our water kefir-making adventure.  Life is settling down a bit, and I hope to have the time to revive things here.  Thanks for your patience with me!!

SDG!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see you again! I've been thinking about you and wondering what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete