07 October 2013

It's a Science Experiment

I just finished the control in my blood glucose control experiment.  Coke (from Mexico, so no HFCS) for breakfast wasn't as good as I remember.  I'm currently at the bottom of the blood sugar roller coaster and have been feeling very sleepy for well over an hour (once my bg levels fell below 80).  Now, I'll eat some fresh, homemade crème bulgare with stawberries, xylitol, homemade vanilla, and unmodified potato starch, which is what I'm testing for the next month (and, yes, I plan on testing at 45 minutes and again at two hours postprandial).  I think I've devised a pretty good experiment.

Lately, I've been reading about resistant starch (RS).  It's called resistant because it seems to resist digestion in the stomach and small intestine.  Once it gets to the large intestine, the good bacteria feed on it (thus growing stronger and multiplying) and produce short-chain fatty acids, which then give us energy.  The label on my bag of unmodified potato starch says that it contains no sugars and no fiber, even though it contains 10 grams of carbohydrates per serving (1 T or 12 g).

Even though some in the low-carb/primal community have pooh-poohed RS, I'm frustrated intrigued enough to want to test it out.  If it can improve my gut health (which has been under assault the last few months because of some serious dental infections and oral surgery that required several courses of antibiotics to avoid the infection transferring to my brain), then maybe my blood glucose control will improve, I'll become more insulin sensitive (more on that later), and I'd be able to drop some more of this unhealthy weight I'm carrying.

So, here's the design of my n=1 experiment:

I tested my fasting bg levels each morning for a few days.  I also tested after a few typical meals over the weekend (I'd run out of strips and hadn't bought more until this last Saturday).  Then, I performed a glucose challenge test by drinking a 335 ml bottle of Coke for breakfast (39 g of sugar) and then checking my bg every 15 minutes for 3 hours.

I'll add in 12 g unmodified potato starch (9-9.6 g RS) with breakfast every morning for a week.  Then, I'll perform another glucose challenge.

The second week, I'll increase my potato starch by an additional 12 g to be taken in the evening.  After that week, I'll perform another glucose challenge.

The third week, I'll add in an additional 12 g at breakfast, then test again after that week.  The fourth week, I'll be up to 24 g of potato starch with breakfast and 24 g of potato starch in the evening, which will equal 36-38 g of RS each day (at 75-80% RS, there are 7.5-8 g RS in each 10 g of potato starch), and test one last time.

I'll also be tracking my fasting bg levels throughout the month, as well as weight and body fat percentage.

After this month, depending on my results, I may design some tests to see if getting it all at once is better or if all in either the morning or evening is better or if it's better to split the dose.

I'm also going to be focusing on crème bulgare, raw milk, sauerkraut, and water kefir to try to rebuild what was killed by the antiobiotics.  A variety of probiotic foods will provide a variety of probiotics.  I'm also going to continue with the xylitol as it's not only good for the teeth (the issue I've been having dates back 3 years or so and therefore before I discovered xylitol; my teeth have greatly improved since) but is also prebiotic, and so will help feed the good little bugs.  Since I already eat xylitol, it makes sense not to change that at this time, as that would introduce yet another variable, and I wouldn't know which was responsible for the results.

I'll post my results from today's test tomorrow, along with my initial stats (cringe).

SDG!

No comments:

Post a Comment