28 November 2006

Homeschool Peace

This is really a continuation of the Place of Rest thread, but I got tired of the name. ;-D

We had a basic lesson last week that has begun bearing fruit in our children. When my dh and I first learned it, it changed the complexion of our relationship and our day-by-day walk.

In Matthew, chapter 7, we read the following:

“Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.”

As sinful human beings (remember, there are only two kinds of people in the world at this point in time: sinners and sinners who have been saved by grace, so this applies to us all), we are so quick to see the speck in our brother’s eye. “My feelings are hurt, so I don’t even have to look for the speck in your eye. I can see your log from the other side of the room! And it’s huge!!!”

What we learned turns this on its head. When I feel hurt, or upset, or frustrated, or angry, that isn’t an indication that your sin is big and obvious and I have every right to be hurt, or upset, or frustrated, or angry. It is, however, an indication that I’ve got a log in my own eye. I probably don’t see it - sin is deceptive and blinds us. Uncontrollable emotion is a neon sign pointing to the active presence of sin in my own heart and until I deal with that, I have no right or obligation to try to point out your sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment