13 November 2009

Shakespeare?

I recently finished Shakespeare by Another Name, by Mark Anderson.

I didn't even know there was any controversy regarding who wrote the Shakespeare canon until about 7 years ago. My curiosity was piqued and I had to research it when I first heard. I haven't done a lot of research about the different people who've been put forth, but I enjoyed this book, written from the Oxfordian perspective, i.e. that Edward de Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford is the guilty party.

I know this isn't an earth-shaking puzzle (at least for most of us), but I do love a mystery. This also doesn't change the power and beauty of the canon, but I think it adds to my understanding of it and I'm looking forward to watching/re-watching the plays again with the new perspective gained from this look at the plays through de Vere's eyes.

SDG!

No comments:

Post a Comment