16 February 2008

Puritan Reading Challenge

Thanks to Kathleen for posting this year-long reading challenge. It originates from the mind of Timmy Brister at Provocations and Pantings. I haven't been able to get the code to work to post the button and the link (I think sunspots are interfering with my ability to upload again), so I thought I'd write about it.

He's scheduled a different Puritan classic to be read each month of 2008. I've already missed January's title, but I think I'll start there anyway. I have to plan my reading around school, and I'm not planning to read them all, but if I aim for one each two months, that will be a good start. Here's his list:

*January: The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes (128 pp)
*February: The Mystery of Providence by John Flavel (221 pp)
March: The Godly Man’s Picture by Thomas Watson (252 pp)
April: Precious Remedies Against Satan’s Devices by Thomas Brooks (253 pp)
May: Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ by John Bunyan (225 pp)
*June: The Mortification of Sin by John Owen (130 pp)
*July: A Lifting Up for the Downcast by William Bridge (287 pp)
*August: The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs (228 pp)
September: The True Bounds of Christian Freedom by Samuel Bolton (224 pp)
*October: The Christian’s Great Interest by William Guthrie (207 pp)
November: The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter (256 pp)
December: A Sure Guide to Heaven by Joseph Alleine (148 pp)

I've starred the ones I hope to read (not necessarily on the schedule Tim's listed, though). There are a couple of considerations guiding my choices: the length of the works, and what we have here at home and what I know is available from our church bookstore. I'll try to post quotes and thoughts as I read (which I hope to do more of as time goes on for all the books I'm reading). And just because I'm not reading some of them this year, doesn't mean I won't read them in the future.

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment